The originally gothic city tower was probably built as a part of the Our Lady of the Assumption Church in the 14th century, although the first preserved written document about it dates to the 15th century. In 1506 the town had the dome covered in lead. Even in the 17th century, there used to be three stories above the church, the highest of which had a balcony for the town caller, whose responsibility it was to warn the town’s inhabitants of approaching enemies or fires. The town had up to seven bells, the largest of which was called Knaur and weighed almost eight tons, which was the second largest bell in all of Bohemia after the most famous bell – Zikmund of Saint Vitus Cathedral in Prague.
The big fire that engulfed the town in 1801 did not spare the tower, which burned down causing the bells to come crashing down. In the subsequent reconstruction,
the tower was reduced by one level, providing its present general appearance. The one exception was that in the mid 1960s, a new copper covering was installed and the dome was gilded, including the five-metre high cross at the top. After a complete renovation, the city tower was opened to the public as an observation tower in November 1994.